Sunday, June 19, 2005

cuddy work - 1

We prepared (sanded, acetone) the section of the hull under the cuddy floor this weekend then applied a heavy layer of bilge coat prior to putting in the 3/4" plywood plug we had prep'd earlier. Recent modification to the plan was to install a 6" hatch in that piece of floor, for the "just in case" it gets some h2o in there or we need to access that section of bilge. 9oz tape and then a thin layer of cabosil, plenty of sanding/fairing is coming with this section.

We also closed off the storage compartments under the cuddy (they were open all the way to the bow). We cut patterns out of a piece of the left over stringer build up and then glassed those into place. Next step on these will be a lil paint and then DONE.

Getting anxious and had to foam in the outer most stringer sections too.

Here is a little inspiration, called the OH KAY from Texas - it is an I/O, but, it is a fishing machine:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you please repost the pics from the cuddy work sections? I can't see them, and I am working myself up to doing some work on my cabin. It would be nice to see how you did yours, and what you found when you took it apart. Thanks again!

J said...

Paul -
unfortunately I cannot find those pics and the site that I hosted them on is gone. I took a look at the posting and will take some pics of what we did in those sections.
A basic description of the cuddy floor work is that we cut out the original floor and left about a two inch ledge (from the original floor) all the way around the cutout...we did that to give the new piece something to rest on...I then glassed a piece of epoxy-painted plywood into the spot as the new floor (attached with 10oz cloth I think and covered with the same 10oz cloth)
Next, I cut a hole in it for a small 4" access hatch.

The work we did in the storage compartments was a little more involved. Originally, the storage compartment drained directly back towards the transom and had some aged PVC that was bound to fail (it was brittle) and the way it was plumbed, it ran along side the gas tank and emptied into the bilge area.
I cut off the original PVC, removed it and then glassed over the hole. I then cut a new hole and installed small pieces (3-4") of PVC that would dump water underneath the newly installed cuddy floor. This allows the water to channel under the gas tank and run to the bilge as opposed to traveling directly under the floor or beside the tank where failure would cause the foam to get wet.
I glassed in the pipes and then painted the interior of those compartments. I will post the pics in this same post whenever I can get back down there.